Flagstone is known to be an easy material to work with due to the flat, thin nature that comes from the splitting layers of sedimentary stone. The large, flat stones are used in a variety of landscaping projects ranging from patios, paths, walkways, seating areas, and walls. Flagstone pavers are available in several different colors, shapes, and thicknesses. Being a natural stone, the colors are characteristic of their original region. The color palette for flagstone varies from red, pink, orange, brown, blue, gold and even white. The stone ranges in thickness, although it is recommended for the stone to be at least 1” thick in areas that will endure heavy traffic or weight.
Why Choose Flagstone for Your Project:
- Flexibility- Due to each stone's unique shapes and colors; flagstone gives you a lot of opportunities with its design and can bring an immense amount of character to your space.
- Options- Flagstone can be laid as a solid surface by being integrated with concrete or the stones can be laid individually allowing mulch or plantings to grow between.
- Texture-The stone makes it a perfect walking surface for paths and seating areas by providing a natural non-slip surface.
- Color- It can be laid as one consecutive color or can be laid with a palette of complementary colors that will provide a mix of the earth’s natural hues throughout your landscape.
Flagstone Paver Benefits:
- The natural variety of each stone provides a unique element to your space-there will never be two areas exactly the same!
- Flagstone is also very durable giving it more benefits than its high visual appeal; it will save you money compared to less durable more expensive materials available.
- Flagstone is also low maintenance. It needs very little upkeep, and if a stone is damaged it’s a simple fix.
- Laying the flagstone dry or with plant material in between makes the surface permeable which has the benefit of ground-capture runoff, reducing water evaporation and let alone is more appealing than other materials.
- Moss, turf or groundcover can be planted throughout the stones providing an inviting and relaxing space.
Pros & Cons:It’s always important to compare advantages and disadvantages when choosing building materials for your outdoor space. We have done the footwork for you, and when it comes to natural stone, it’s hard to find anything with more advantages. Due to flagstones appeal, durability and low maintenance, it makes it one of the most renown among homeowners. Another advantage to flagstone is the flexibility due to its irregular shape which makes your pattern options limitless. There are limited materials that give you enough freedom to truly create a unique design.
So what’s the disadvantage you ask? Flagstone can be a bit expensive running from $5-$25 per square foot for varieties highest in demand. However, some flagstone variations are much higher than other more common variations depending on the origin of the stone and its supply and demand. More available types can be found for around $3-$5 per square foot. Usually the rule of thumb is the further away the region the higher the price.